How to open your Big Box of Happiness
When we say your bike will arrive in a Big Box of Happiness (BBOH) ready-to-ride, we really mean it! After the 4 week window for assembly and inspection, Xtracycle bikes are then packaged for delivery to your front door. Once they are boxed up, they are secured to a large EdgeRunner-sized pallet to ensure safe transport. They are packaged this way in order to help you get rolling ASAP.
A quick important note about delivery: you must be present to sign for your delivery. This ensures that your valuable purchase is delivered directly to you and not left delivered and unattended or delivered to someone other than you. The courier company will call you to schedule a delivery and they will not deliver your bike without an appointment or prior consent for someone other than you to sign for it. Some couriers give a wide window of delivery - i.e. 9am - 5pm - so if you are unable to be at home to receive it, having it delivered at your place of work might be best.
So, how do you open your box once it arrives?
Here are the best practices we have found for unboxing your new ride.
- Before you open your box: See any dents or holes? Note any damage that your BBOH may have sustained during transit. Be sure to take photos if there is any substantial damage, as these will be helpful to us if a claim is filed with the shipping company.
- On the bottom package where the box meets the pallet, remove the screws and washers with a Phillips head screwdriver. Set aside the screws and washers.
- Once the outer box is free, lift the box up to reveal your bike (this is made easier with a buddy). Set the box aside and keep it assembled in the unlikely case that you'd need to return the bike.
- Unfasten the tow-straps to partially release your bike from the pallet. These straps are yours to keep and come in handy for lashing down big cargo!
- Next, unfasten the zip-ties holding the front and rear wheels in place.
- Remove any padding from the handlebar controls or other parts of the bike, as well as the foam block from the bike's tail piece.
- Locate any additional goodies or accessories stowed away on your bike.
- Adjust the seat to your desired height using a 4 or 5mm (depending on your EdgeRunner model) allen wrench and you're Ready to Ride!